Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Capture. A Year!


One year ago today, I walked through the front door of the pretty blue house you see above to start my brand new job.  I had an inkling that I'd like it.

Y'all.  I had NO idea.

You would be quite hard pressed to find anyone that loves their job like I do.  When I see family or friends or family friends, they often say to me not "how's work?" but "you love your job."  They don't ask me, they tell me.  Because they see all the fun I have through pictures on Facebook and Instagram.  Because they see me running around like a lunatic at events in town where I am 'working' but having a blast.  Because they ask my mother how I like my job and she goes on and on and on about what a great fit it is, or they ask my dad and he tells them I've found the absolute perfect job.

I've danced around (literally) with WAY too many mascots, sat on the sidelines (or on the court!) at professional sporting events, leaned both off of an interstate bridge and out of my sunroof to get the perfect photo for clients, have gotten up at ungodly hours for TV shoots, have gotten to write, have gotten to play.  I've walked through the doors of the offices of some really fun people and had some really fun people walk through the door of mine.  I've gone behind the scenes with public figures and sports stars and musicians and ballet dancers.  I've yet to have even close to the same day twice around here.

During the recent Winston-Salem Cycling Classic, I met up for just a second with some friends who had come downtown for the event, in between my trying to find a news station that was there for a story and answering phone calls from the newspaper needing questions answered for a piece they were doing.  The friends then headed to dinner and I wasn't able to join them.  When I hugged Wes goodbye, he said "Man, sorry you didn't even get to hang out and have any fun while you were down here."  I so naturally told him that I was having fun - that I have such a fun job and I love my work and I was just fine.

My camera is around my neck almost every day and that makes my heart smile.  I thought I might get to use it some, but I bring it to work with me every single day.  I've had photos show up in the craziest places and I just can't believe it.  Happy as a lark.

And OH, do we have fun within the walls of the blue house.  The people I work with are the best.  We are friends and our families are friends.  We work together all day then often meet up to play later.  We blare music (Kenny Loggins, usually) and goof off all the time and send waaaaaay too many cat photos to each other in emails and texts and we just think it's the funniest thing EVER.  They are the greatest.  Just the greatest.  They'd do anything for me and I'd do anything for them.

I am not at all clueless about how fortunate I am to have a job that I love so.  I know so many people that never have that.  I know that not everyone walks out the door of their home every day excited to get to their office.  I know that.  And I am so grateful for the opportunity.

So yes, it's been a good year.  One hell of a great year.  And I can't wait to see what else is down the road!

No comments: