Monday, December 29, 2008

Sweet Sweet Schultzes

(This post should have happened so long ago that it's embarrassing. My "best of intentions" blogging mentality has clearly not worked out so well. But 2009 is just around the corner, so let's hope there's a resolution to do better, okay?)

Will & Ben. How much fun do they look like they are? I first met the Schultzes when Will was about 3 1/2 and, as usually is the case with painfully cute children, I was sold. And when Ben was born in 2006, he quickly turned into the rolliest (word?) baby you have EVER seen. I LOVE rolls on a baby. L.O.V.E.

Will is one of the most congenial kids I've ever met in my life. I have the most vivid memory of him being 4 years old and in a little sweater vest at the Festival of Trees, tugging on my pant leg and saying, with his little hands in his khaki pockets, "So Rebecca, how are things at your house?" The kid eats, sleeps and breathes Legos and knows ev.er.y.thing about Star Wars. You think I'm kidding. And instead of calling my parents Mr. & Mrs. McNeely or Wayne and Jill, he calls them "Rebecca's Dad" and "Rebecca's Mom" I know, I can't stand it either.




Oh Beeeeen. Oh how you make me laugh. You yell - YELL - "HI!" at anyone and everyone nearby - stranger or old friend. You make their day. You eat like there's no tomorrow, and you apparently don't care for folks who sing Happy Birthday, as you started screaming whenever we tried at your 2nd birthday party. As a baby you were happiest upside down, and you flat out, absolutely adore your big brother. You, sweet boy, are precious.



I would do a disservice to this wonderful family to not mention their middle son, Thomas, who was born in January of 2005. Thomas was born with hypoplastic left heart syndrome and lived a short (but SO very full of life and love) 12 days in the hospital. Mary and John have made helping families who have lost a baby during pregnancy or during infancy a mission in their own lives, and all who know them have experienced true grace by witnessing their journey. Thomas is seen in bluebirds in the sky and is celebrated with cupcakes on his birthday. He is honored through ornaments on the Christmas Tree. His pictures grace the bookshelves of their home and he is talked about all the time. He is absolutely their angel.


Thomas' candle at the 2008 Heartstrings Walk to Remember



"Thomas' Team" at the walk in October

3 comments:

KatieKate said...

It's pretty obvious that Will needs to come live with me. Work that out, would ya?

Bec said...

How good are you at being the Tooth Fairy? The kid is losing teeth left and right, so I can't send him unless you can handle it. :)

Karla said...

You capture all these kids so well. Your pictures are great! :) I'm glad you're doing this blog, so I can see all your friends (and little boyfriends) that you always talk about.