Sunday, December 7, 2008

When I Grow Up...

When they're little, kids want to be astronauts, ballerinas, firefighters. They get a little older and the focus shifts a little - athletes, singers - whatever they're interested in at the time.I have known, ever since I was little, what I want to be when I "grow up" (I don't think I'm there yet - I wonder if anyone ever actually gets there.) I want to be a mom. Some people truly feel what they were put on this earth to do - for me, it is to be a mother.
I know, I know, it's not looking like it will be any time soon. Prince Charming has apparently made a pit stop in, oh, I don't know, China or somewhere - I think his white horse has broken down. But I hope that, when he does FINALLY get here, he'll be gung-ho about the pitter patter of little feet, because I want to hear lots of them.
As I've gotten older and gotten to see so many amazing mothers in action, I know that I want that even more. The love in these photos is like no other love in the world, if you ask me...I absolutely want the SUV full of carseats and cheerios and cheesy sing-a-long music. I want lots of birthday parties and school plays and even want the tears and the skinned knees and teenage broken hearts. And I thank all of the moms that I know now that I'm older for being such amazing examples. Way too many to cover here.
But, I think that one of the main reasons that my heart is so sure of all of this is because of my own mother. I want to have the relationship with my kids that she has with us. My sister and I are as different as night and day, but I know we can agree on one thing: we've got one HECK of a mother.

1 comment:

KatieKate said...

aw, honey
and when that time comes, you will be the best mom ever

ever