Wednesday, June 17, 2009

65 Years Ago Today...

My grandparents - "Nanny & GanGan" - got married.He left right after they got married - the day after - to go off to war with the Marines. So many people back then got married right before the man headed off to war. It may have seemed impulsive, it might not have been something everyone agreed with (GanGan's mother didn't even come to their wedding) but they were a true love story. One that lasted for 56 years until my grandfather passed away in 2000.

They did everything together - they loved to golf and loved the mountains, loved to travel and saw the world together. My grandfather built his world around her, and later they built their world around the whole family. They raised my mom and her two sisters and doted on me, my sister and our five cousins left and right. They were fortunate to enjoy some of the finer things in life - rewards for a life of hard, hard work - but still valued nothing more than family.
Today I'm wearing a ring that holds Nanny's engagement diamond in the center. It was reset years upon years ago, but the stone is the one GanGan gave her when he asked her to marry him. It means the world to me that I have it - it always will.

Happy Anniversary, Nanny & GanGan. And GanGan, as you would have said,
"Glad We Got You"

1 comment:

KatieKate said...

OK- the photo of him leaning on the car with her sitting next to him? May I please have that Brick Building Size so I can put it on the side of my barn? I've never seen anything more perfect.

Great story, Bec.
Glad I Got You, Darlin'.