Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Fun with Sutton and Sam

My cousin Tom and his wife Sara have two boys - Sutton and Sam. Over Memorial Day weekend, my mom and I offered to have them come up for the weekend from Greenville, SC while their mom recovered from some surgery - we thought they could really use a weekend to just rest. Mom picked the boys up half way on Friday and they stayed until Monday when I met Tom in Charlotte to hand them back off.
The boys are a hoot. Sutton is 6 1/2 and knows everything about pretty much everything. Mom said she got an extensive lesson in rare jellyfish on the way from Hickory to Winston on Friday. I don't doubt it. Sam is 2 1/2 and often goes by the nickname "Trouble". He was obsessed with my dad, "Wee Wah" (a name my cousins gave my dad well before I came along) and was also found asleep under the desk in my sister's room one night at 11:45. We thought we had lost him....oops... :)

We had a great weekend. I had made a $5 investment in some sidewalk chalk before they got here that ended up being some of the best money I've ever spent. I wondered if boys would even really care, and if they did, if it would be fun that would last at all. Turns out, Sutton is quite the driveway artist, and Wee Wah's perfect yard was flanked by chalk art galore. Even flags and all of the branches of service in honor of Memorial Day.
Sam had more fun than anyone ever would have imagined in the sprinkler (wearing his PJs, thank you) and Dad helped the boys make s'mores in the fireplace. Under an umbrella. In the rain. Promises must be kept! I think fun was had by all!

No comments: