Monday, October 11, 2010

Matters of the Heart

This past weekend was the 6th Annual Walk to Remember for Heartstrings, a pregnancy and infant loss support group that I have been involved with for a few years now.  Losing a pregnancy or losing a baby is something that people don't want to talk about, but I can tell you that through the folks I've met through this organization, these folks need to talk about their situations and remember the sweet children that they have lost.  There's no easy way to do this, of course, but finding others in the same boat is so vital.


And I'll also tell you that the people I have met through Heartstrings are absolutely, without a doubt, some of the strongest people I have ever met.  Their lives are, certainly, changed forever, but they have become even better people because of it.  And they love others even more.  And support each other fiercely.  Fiercely.






















When I wanted to start working with Heartstrings, the Executive Director gave me call to make sure I knew what I was getting into.  She warned me that, one day when I become pregnant, knowing so much about the stories of these families could make me a nervous wreck.  She really wanted me to make sure I was up for the emotional challenges of getting to know and love these families.  I'll admit, there are times when it is overwhelming, but I have never wished that I hadn't signed on.


If you know someone who has gone through a loss like this - a miscarriage, an expected or unexpected loss of a baby because of prematurity or illness or anything else - talk to them about it.  Yes, it will always seem like such an elephant in the room, but it is SO important to make sure that's not the case.  These are their children, and they want to talk about them and remember them. 


Heartstrings is a network of support groups and other resources to help these families, and it has done so much to help guide them along in their respective journeys.  And I can promise you, what you will gain from walking alongside them will inspire you and change you forever.

2 comments:

Mari Jo said...

This is so wonderful. Thank you for your inspirational thoughts and beautiful photos. Your presence as a volunteer has touched the lives of many and we are so grateful for your support. Mari Jo

MoDLin said...

What a loving and sensitive post. Thank you for sharing information about Heartstrings and for reminding us all to be sensitive and supportive.