Thursday, March 3, 2011

Ahem...

I'm not really one who usually hops up on a soap box, but every rule has its exception.


March is National Colon Cancer Awareness Month.

Why on earth do I care about this?  Because your colon is a big deal, and if you aren't careful, it can cause all sorts of trouble.  Mine caused so much trouble because of my Crohn's Disease that I got fed up with the darn thing and just went ahead and got rid of it 18 years ago.  (When I tell people this, my favorite response is "You must be wrong about that.  You can't live without that."  Thank you.  I was there then and still am now.  You are wrong.)  But I grew up hearing so much about being a colon cancer risk personally that I feel I'm entitled to my soap box.

At any rate, the point of all of this is: screening.  I cannot TELL you how many times I have either heard folks having conversations, or had conversations with them myself, about how they don't want to go get screened because they are scared of the test.  "The dreaded colonoscopy."  And not scared of what they may find out.  Scared of the actual test.

My stars.  Once was a grown woman who gave birth twice with no drugs was worried about the test.  Another was a grown man who has had a hip AND a knee replaced.  Scared of the test. 

The New York Times published an article a few weeks back about this whole thing.  It stated that "people who avoided the test - even though they were good candidates because of their age or at heightened risk because of family history - were scared, pure and simple."   But here's the thing of it: It's not a big deal and it can save your life.

Now, not that you need to know this, but I am a professional at this test.  I started having them at age 4 and have had more of them in my lifetime than I would care to, but they are NOT a big deal.  I still go for similar testing every single year.  Yes, the night before is like a stomach bug, but for the test, a few drips into an IV and bam, you're high as a kite for the procedure (and the rest of the day) and won't remember a thing.  I look at it this way:  You get to miss a day of work, take a really great morning nap, check out of reality, have a chauffeur, and then go get a milkshake.

Done.

I have actually been persuasive enough to talk a few people into just GOING.  And then they tell me that it wasn't near as bad as they thought and they are so glad that they went.

Colon cancer is the 3rd most diagnosed cancer in the U.S. and the 3rd leading cause of cancer death in both men AND women.  56,000 Americans will die from colon cancer this year, and, according to recent studies, MORE THAN A THIRD of those people could have a different outcome if they would just go for screening.

How much more do you need to know than that?!

(There is a hilarious Charlie Sheen clip from Two and a Half Men about his character's brother's first trip for a colonoscopy that I wanted to share.  Couldn't find it though.  Seems that Googling "Charlie Sheen" right now is a little, umm, crazy...)

PLEASE, go for screening if you should.  I will bring you your milkshake.  I mean it, just let me know.  Chocolate or Vanilla? :)

No comments: