Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I Heart Abe(s)

Anyone who knows me fairly well knows that I have a thing for Abraham Lincoln.  I always have.  I know all sorts of random trivia about him, love quotes that are attributed to him, have a huge "who would ever read that thing?" book about him on my coffee table.

And I REALLY love the Lincoln Memorial.  I've been there many many many times, but every time I go it's like I've never experienced it before.  I walk around every inch of it like it is brand new.  I can fill anyone that I'm with in on fun facts about the structure itself, I always go around and read all of the inscriptions on the walls, and I can stand there forever and stare at Abe in his big chair.  When I get to go at night, I cry.  Every time.

My love for Lincoln makes me generally refer to him like we are friends.  I just call him Abe.  Like I could just call him up on the phone and chat every now and then...

Which leads me to the following Facebook exchange with my cousin (who lives in DC and has always understood and appreciated my Lincoln obsession) a couple of days ago...

Me:  I'd love to plan a time to come see y'all soon.  I haven't been up there in a while and I am really in need of an Abe fix.

Him: Sure, but I'm confused...  Is Abe coming with you?  Come see us!

Oh, for crying out loud.  We have a dear friend named Abe.  I meant Lincoln, but my cousin didn't get that.  And now this is all on Facebook for everyone to read and be thrown off by...that I need an "Abe fix".  This stuff is how rumors get started...

But I heart the "real" Abe in my life, too!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Come come come! We can see Abe, Tom, George, whomEVER.