Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Field of Dreams

So, over the weekend I spent a LOT of time at the pool - Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  When you are weekend babysitting for two HIGH energy boys and it is Summer, you go to the pool...  I did great ALL weekend until Sunday, when, for some reason, even with plenty of sunscreen, I got cooked.  And this decided to then kick it up with a nice 'intensified' burn/reaction because of some medicine that I take.  I was in more pain that night than I have been in in a VERY long time.  I like to think that I have a high pain tolerance, but on Sunday, whew, I was not feeling good at all.

All of this sets up the fact that last night, Ann Parke told me that Spencer had a baseball game Tuesday night if I'd like to come.  I told her that because even being out in the heat for a minute or two made me feel sick because it heated up the burn again, I didn't think I could do it.  I felt guilty because I haven't been good at all about making out to see these games this year.  Then this morning Mary told me that Will's team was the one playing Spencer's team tonight.  Now I knew I had to go, sunburn or not.

So, I came home from work this afternoon, slathered myself in some 'nothing's getting through this stuff' SPF sunscreen, put on long sleeves, jeans and a baseball hat (in 90 degree weather) and headed out to the Little League fields.  I would do anything for these boys, without a thought.

Well...  I was that dumb looking girl that must have seemed like I didn't know what was going on, because I cheered and clapped and hooted and hollered for both teams.  I got to see Will catch, Spencer pitch, both of them each have a fabulous, clean hit, and watch both of them round the bases and score a run.  Did I maybe cry a little?  Absolutely.  


Mary emailed me tonight to say that she knew I had to have been feeling pretty bad out there, but that Will was so happy to have a cheering section at the game...  It dawned on me that the whole time I was out there I don't even think I noticed that I was hot or uncomfortable because I was just so wrapped up in watching two of my favorite people ever out there doing their thing - and killing it!  

I still have, in two matching little frames in my apartment, their T-Ball pictures from the first year they played and I just can't believe how big they are now...



Oh, and don't worry - Frick & Frack were there, too. :)

1 comment:

Mom of Boys said...

It's my favorite place to be and you captured the why! As always, I love reading your blog. Keep 'em coming. Julie G