Tuesday, February 21, 2012

40 Days...


Last year, I gave up Starbucks for Lent.  I think my poor boss didn't think it would be a big deal.  I hadn't been there long, he didn't know.  I think this year if he heard of such plans he'd change the office locks.  It is just the two of us at work and I'm not necessarily a pill if I don't have my White Mocha, but I am such a nice girl with it.  :)

This year I will toss soft drinks by the wayside.  This should go over just fine I think.

Also during Lent this year, I want to DO something.  Not just NOT DO something.  Not just give something up.  A very dear woman here in town (hello Jean!) did this last year, and I thought to myself, "Oh, I will SO do that next year".  And here we are.

Every single day, she stuck a piece of mail - a real, handwritten, stamped piece of mail - in the mailbox for someone she loved.  40 notes.  40 stamps.  40 people that she wanted to make sure knew how much they are valued.

In this day of phone calls and email and texting and Facebook and Twitter (and blogs - I know, I am happy to call myself on the carpet here, too), there is nothing so precious as a sweet note in the mail amongst the bills and Bed Bath and Beyond coupons (how does that place ever make any money???).

I LOVE to write a handwritten note.  My sister and I have been raised in a family where note writing is expected - but not in a bad way - it is enjoyed.  I have a ridiculous stash of stationery and I often pile more in my poor little box even though I don't need it.  I am a paper snob and a total sucker when it comes to a pretty note with a monogram slapped on it.  (I am aware that it's a problem - but there certainly are far worse things to spend money on than pretty paper...)

Each night before I go to bed I will write the note to go out the next day.  Sunday notes will go out Mondays - a note will truly be dated for every single day of Lent.  I'm so excited I could pop.  I realize it's a little thing when divided by 40...but I still hope it will bring a few smiles here and there.  And who knows, I might keep right on going after 40...who cares if I have to restock the stationery box.

Here's to always taking the time to let people know just how much you love them...there's no better time to do so than when we are in the midst of celebrating the very best Love we will ever know...

No comments: