Monday, August 3, 2009

A Year Ago This Very Day...

...I met these little monkeys, as they are often affectionately referred to now.
(Jack on the left, Will on the right)

Don't ask me why I remember the date, it's just one of those things that I do.

But I think part of it is it because for me it was one of those days I will remember forever. I remember the beeping at each floor on the elevator heading up to the NICU. I remember meeting Katie out in the hall before going to see the boys. I remember meeting Will first and then Jack. I even remember what skirt I had on and how blasted hot it was outside that day.

I remember that they weighed 3 pounds, 1 ounce (Jack) and 3 pounds, 3 ounces (Will) the day that I came to visit. I remember seeing their little inked feet on a Good Luck card for William, who was taking his real estate exam that week.
If anything, I have a good memory.

They were such tiny tiny little things. I can recall putting my hand on Will's back to keep him from sliding down his bed as they were changed into their Twinkie outfits and my already long hand looked HUGE. They made no more than a squeak when they moved around during my visit that day, and were sound asleep to all of the beeping and chiming from what seemed like dozens of monitors in the room that kept them safe.

They were doing well at that point, but were certainly not 100% out of the woods yet. Going to see them was as anxious as it was joyous. I can remember crying the whole way home and praying that they would keeping growing and getting stronger and healthier.

And now look at them.

















Please tell me children aren't miracles. I dare you.

No comments: